August 29, 2012

Labor & Delivery (Trip One of __)

I told myself I was done with any more medical episodes until D-Day. Obviously telling myself something isn't going to change my reality, and that was before I started experiencing multiple headaches preceded by blurry vision. While the headaches weren't too bad and I figured I was just experiencing minor migraines, I did have some concern since headaches and blurry vision are signs of preeclampsia, something I am more than cognizant of. Seth was firm that I call the OB. The OB wanted to see me.

So last Monday afternoon I met up with Seth at the OB (and here I was hoping for just one appointment in a given week). After the nurse took my blood pressure and it was measuring over 120, I was just about convinced I had preeclampsia even though I lacked sudden weight gain and excessive swelling symptoms. The OB then evaluated me, and since apparently their office doesn't have sensitive enough testing for preeclampsia, I was sent to labor and delivery.

At the hospital, it just so happened that my regular OB was there getting ready to perform a C-section. (I was glad I finally wouldn't have to explain all the previous stuff that has happened with me to yet another doctor.) I waved hello, and then was unexpectedly placed in my own labor and delivery room. The nurses had me suit up in a gown, give some blood and urine, and lay in a delivery bed while the baby was monitored for a good hour.  

Everything ended up coming back normal. I gratefully accepted a prescription pain medication from my OB should I get more headaches and was dismissed.

Third trip to the hospital. Check.






No comments:

Post a Comment