July 30, 2012

Doctors, Doctors, & More Doctors

In the last two weeks, I have seen my speech therapist, neurologist, primary care doctor and OB, plus a high risk pregnancy doctor, and hematologist (resent blood test results found me low in Proteins S & C, which help prevent blood clots). So if you have any questions about medical insurance and obtaining a referral, I am your gal.

At the recommendation of my OB, I had a consultation with a high risk pregnancy doctor to discuss whether I am really "high risk". In describing my experiences with the difficulty breathing/VCD/acid reflux, which has basically dwindled to being non-existent, and my TIA-like experience, plus review of my bloodwork, the doc had good news for me: I'm not considered high risk. In fact, the doctor isn't convinced I actually had a TIA. And while Protein S & C are lower than expected, even for a pregnant woman, the doctor wouldn't actually describe me as deficient. The hematologist said the same.

In any case, all doctors involved agree that I should be put on Lovonox, a blood thinner, as a precautionary measure. I now have the pleasure of giving myself daily injections in the side of my stomach. In two weeks, I will switch to a different blood thinner injection, Heparin. The trade off for the double pokes is the option for an epidural. (I'm not as tough as I would like to think.)  

The craziness of appointments will continue. In two days I have an appointment for a venous Doppler ultrasound of the legs to make sure I am clear of blood clots and next week I'll be getting my blood drawn to ensure my platelet count hasn't decreased due to the Lovonox injections. That's not to mention my OB appointments that have just increased to weekly. 

I'm hoping this is my last medical update of this sort. I have several baby showers to catch you up on and one more this coming weekend!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment