April 5, 2013

Separation Anxiety Begins

For the first time, Hannah showed signs of being upset as I was leaving for work today. When I handed her off to the nanny and began putting my coat on, she began to whimper. I went to her for one last kiss goodbye, and she leaned into me to take her. I took, but couldn't help thinking what terrible timing for this stage to begin; I leave for Spain in six days.

I knew travel for work was inevitable and wouldn't be easy for me, but I wasn't expecting Hannah to already understand Mommy leaving. On the bright side, I will be gone just four days on this first trip, but I'm gone nonetheless.

When I arrive home this evening, Hannah was happy and happy to see me, but that was only because she was held most of the day due to her fussiness. This is not like my baby. I scooped Hannah up, but she wouldn't let me put her down without fussing for about a half hour.

I do have to admit, it's kinda sweet. She loves me.

All this leaves me wondering how the both of us are going to be when I leave. While this part may be difficult, saying goodbye, and being gone, aren't actually what I'm most worried about. I'm most worried about how she will respond to me when I return. Will she be excited? Or will she be reclusive?

In an effort to help soften both my worry and potential for a rude welcome home, I will be creating video messages for Seth to play for Hannah. I also hope to Skype while gone, and thankfully I'm gone over a weekend so the timing works out to connect.  

I'm sure going to miss you my sweet Hannah Rose (and Daddy too of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment