March 15, 2013

Lying

I recently watched a video blog entry of lies that moms tell their children. In a very effervescent and whimsical manner, the moms confessed lies about their ability to put new batteries in toys. That "in California, they don't make gum." "It's illegal to drive with balloons in the car." "We don't get that show" and "they're out of that food."

The video reminded me that for as long as I can remember, I have always told myself I am going to try to never lie to my children. 

Because like all lies, lying to our children is selfish. Should not our most paramount example be to our children? 


Train up a child in the way he should go.
Proverbs 22:6



Set an example for the believers in speech, 
in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 
1 Timothy 4:12

I know, I know. You probably have an argument for when it's okay to lie to your children, especially when it can escape a tantrum (think check out line at the grocery store) or avoid heartache: "Mommy, do dogs go to heaven when they die?" 

But I guess I view these as opportunities to mold fortitude, patience, understanding, empathy, honesty and trust. 

This doesn't mean I will tell my children everything. The answer may be: "Let's talk about this later."


Truthful lips endure forever, 
but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.
Proverbs 12:19

Why is it my goal to never lie to my children? 

Children are smart. Lies could risk eroding my child's trust in me. 

Lying teaches children lies are okay.

Lying is against God's commandments.

Do not lie.
Leviticus 19:11

And I'm not good at it.

So here is my promise to you Hannah Rose.
 I will do my best to always tell you the truth. 
Even when it's inconvenient, or you won't understand, or it could hurt your feelings. 
Because I want to set an example of truth and of trust.

 Instead, speaking the truth in love.
Ephesians 4:15

Still up for debate: Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment